David Harper holds a Master’s degree in Accounting from the University of Virginia. Prior to that, he graduated Summa Cum Laude from Auburn University with a Bachelor’s degree in International Business and a Finance concentration. He is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) – certified in the states of Florida and Georgia. In addition to his CPA designations, Mr. Harper is also Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV), a Personal Financial Specialist (PFS), and Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF) through the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. He is also a Certified Business Appraiser (CBA) through the Institute of Business Appraisers and a Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA) through the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts (NACVA).
Mr. Harper has also received advanced training in the collaborative divorce process as a financial neutral and has served in a number of collaborative cases. He has completed five separate Collaborative Process trainings within the past three years. His past experience and training as an investment advisor representative and general securities representative (Series 7 and Series 66 licensed) through the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) enables him to better serve his clients in a neutral capacity.
David Harper’s litigation support services includes business valuation and forensic accounting services in both consulting and testifying roles including:
- Financial neutral – collaborative practice
- Joint expert – litigation cases
- Expert witness testimony
- Court-appointed expert – forensic accounting
Mr. Harper’s range of experience in business valuation, forensic accounting, and/or tax consulting includes:
- Collaborative law and collaborative practice
- Business operations and controls consulting
- Business mergers and acquisitions
- Forensic investigations and funds tracing
- Business transition and succession planning
- Marital dissolution and other family law issues
- Grand theft, fraud, and other criminal investigations
- Gift and estate tax valuations
- Shareholder disputes
- Equitable distribution arrangements
- Equity compensation strategies
- Financial modeling
- Retirement savings and life insurance plans
- Corporate and individual tax/investment strategies
- Audit and accounting
Mr. Harper began his career with Ernst & Young in its Assurance and Advisory Business Services practice. After three years with E&Y, he spent six years with Retirement Capital Group specializing in executive compensation and benefit strategies, business valuation, and financial planning for individuals, corporations, partnerships, and non-profit organizations around the country. After RCG, Mr. Harper was with Brauer & Harper CPAs, PA for four years specializing in business valuation, forensic accounting and litigation support services.
Mr. Harper is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Institute of Business Appraisers, the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts, Tampa Bay Academy of Collaborative Professionals (Board Member), Next Generation Divorce (former Board Member), and the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals. He has completed over 100 hours of continuing education directly related to business valuation and forensic accounting during the past three years including two national business valuation conferences.
David Harper’s lectures/presentations given include:
- Florida Academy of Collaborative Professionals – 2017 Statewide Conference Presentation: The Three Traits of Highly Effective Collaborative Team Members
- Florida Academy of Collaborative Professionals – 2017 Statewide Conference Presentation: Collaborative Unscripted: The Role of
Creativity in the Process
- Clearwater Bar Association Collaborative Law Section – The Role of the CPA in Collaborative Cases
- Tampa Bay Collaborative Trainers (co-trainer) – Collaborative Two-Day Basic Training
- Florida Academy of Collaborative Professionals – 2016 Statewide Conference Presentation: Four Dysfunctions of the Collaborative Team
- The Canakaris American Inn of Court – Avoiding Pitfalls in Equitable Distribution
- Collaborative Divorce Institute of Tampa Bay – Expanding the Pie in Collaborative Cases
- University of South Florida – Assessing Business Value and Key Value Drivers
- University of South Florida – Business Valuations and Financial Metrics
- BrainTrust Business Group – Our Current Tax Environment
- BrainTrust Business Group – Valuing Small and Medium Sized Privately-Held Businesses
- University of South Florida – Panel Discussion: Financial Metrics, Tax Strategies, and Financial Planning
- Collaborative Divorce Institute of Tampa Bay – Financial Basics in Divorce
- Tampa Bay Association for Marriage and Family Therapy – Collaborative Divorce vs. Divorce Litigation
- Collaborative Divorce Institute of Tampa Bay – Marketing Collaborative Divorce
- White Horse Advisors – Tax Strategies for Highly-Compensated Employees
- Tatum LLC – Employee Compensation and Benefits Retention Strategies
While at Auburn, Mr. Harper was inducted into the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi as well as the Mortar Board National Honor Society, which recognizes a select few college seniors from each campus across the U.S. for superior achievement in scholarship, leadership and service.
He and his wife are the proud parents of four children.